Call: 0121 454 2342   Email:

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I qualify to live at Signature Properties?

You must be a full-time student, and be 18 years or older to live with us. You can book with us whether you have a conditional or unconditional offer. However, please be aware of our cancellation policy prior to booking should your place at university not yet be confirmed.

Do you offer properties with bills included?

Yes sometimes but this depends on the property. Where you rent an individual room within a shared house, the bills are usually included: gas, water, electricity and sometimes council tax. Phone bills are not included however, in some cases internet can be provided. Please contact our office for further details.

Do I need a TV license?

It is your responsibility to purchase a TV lisense; It is against Television Licensing Authority Law to be without a TV license for any TV’s within your property.

Should I take out contents insurance?

Yes, you are responsible for insuring any personal possessions within your property.

Are pets allowed?

Unfortunately not.

Do you provide kitchen utensils or do we need to bring our own?

Our properties are fully furnished, but we do NOT provide items such as kitchen utensils and bedding, therefore you will need to bring these with you when you move in.

Are all properties furnished?

Yes, all properties come furnished including kitchen appliances.

Do you have any houses where I can just rent one room?

Yes, we have individual rooms to let within shared student houses. In these you will have your own room, but will share communal facilities.

Can I bring my own furniture?

To ensure that both health and safety regulations are maintained at all times, we request that tenants do not bring their own furniture or electrical goods into the property. All furniture or furnishings brought into the property must comply with the Furniture and Furnishings Safety regulations and electrical goods should have been PAT tested (Portable Appliance Testing). The tenant is responsible for removal of any personal items at the end of the tenancy.

Do you do credit checks?

Not usually, although we do require every tenant to have a guarantor. This needs to be someone that is UK resident, a homeowner and fully employed.

What if I am unable to provide a guarantor?

If you do not have anyone who can act as a guarantor, please see our section on guarantors.

I am an international student and my parents live abroad so I am unable to provide a guarantor. What can I do?

If you do not have anyone who can act as a guarantor, please see our section on guarantors.

Can I pay my rent when I receive my student loan?

Although the majority of our lets are to student, we are a private company with no association to the Student Loans Company. The rent is payable as per the terms of your signed Tenancy Agreement.

What are your contract lengths?

We offer 42 week and 50 week contracts. Each of our properties offer different contract lengths and room types, please view your chosen property online for all of the details or ‘contact us’

Can I choose who I live with?

If you wish to apply as a group then please make this clear at the stage of booking your room and we will endeavor to have everyone in the same property, although, you will all have individual contracts.

Can I choose my room?

Yes, this can be done once you have carried out your viewing.

Do you provide summer accommodation?

Yes. Our Summer Bookings usually open around March. Keep a look out for pricing and information.

Do I have to move out in the holidays?

No, your room is your room for the full contract period! You won’t have to move out in the holidays, so you won’t have to remove your belongings every term.

How do I pay my rent?

Rent can be paid via online FASTER PAYMENTS, BACS or CHAPS.

When do I pay my rent?

Rent is to be paid on the 1st of each month.

Can I pay my rent from overseas?

You can pay your rent either online, or by bank transfer depending on your chosen property. Please note that you will be responsible for all bank transfer fees.

Can I move in before I pay my rent?

We can only allow students to move in that are up to date with their rental schedule.

Do I need a guarantor?

Yes, please see our section on guarantors.

How much are deposits?

This can vary but is usually £250.

What happens to my deposit?

Your deposit is placed into a Deposit Protection Scheme, where it is held safely throughout the duration of your tenancy.

When do I get my deposit back?

Your deposit will be returned to you after your tenancy agreement has ended and your room has been inspected. The amount returned to you will depend on any outstanding charges and any damages found in your room or the communal areas in your flat. You will need to request your deposit back in writing and give your landlord 10 days to respond to the request. You must then allow your landlord the opportunity to discuss and negotiate any proposed deductions to the deposit.

Please see your tenancy agreement for more information. The deposit can take up to 28 days to be credited.

How do I report a maintenance problem/issue?

In the event that something isn’t working correctly in any part of the accommodation, the student needs to report the issues as soon as possible to the property team who will escalate it accordingly. Outside of the property team hours, the help desk is on hand to take emergency calls related to maintenance issues. All students are responsible for reporting any problems as soon as possible to prevent further damage or serious issues.

Email :

Tel .+44 121 454 2342

Looking for student finance?

Make sure you contact the Student Finance company on 0300 100 0607 for more information on what you are eligible for.

Need support while living away from home?

Ask4Support are here to help all students with any problems or issues they may face, contact them on 0114 303 3232.

Do you need help or support of a different nature?

For help with stress and your mental health contact Mind (Mental Health) on 0845 766 0163. For help and support with controlled substances please contact National Drugs Awareness on 0800 776 600.

I have been a victim of a crime, who do I contact?

Contact victim support on 0845 30 30 90

What are the emergency numbers?
  • To contact the emergency services dial 999 or 101
  • To contact NHS Direct dial 0845 4647
  • To contact NHS 24 dial 0845 424 2424
  • To contact the Family Planning Association dial 0845 122 8690
Where do I find out travel information?

To contact the Travel Line dial 0871 200 2233, or to contact National Rail Enquiries dial 08457 484 950

Need a number and don’t know where to go?

Call Direct Enquiries on 118 118.

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Start typing and press Enter to search